My wife bought this clock on clearance from Target for $4.96.
The clock sat unused in its package for months.
At some point it was detached from its package but still kept in the box.
At two separate times two of my children tried to hang this clock.
According to my daughter I dropped the clock not knowing it was loose from package. In researching objects for this project I was looking up wall clocks with blank faces.
I found several online but they all exceeded the $20 limit set by the curators.
I decided I would use this clock even though the face was not completely blank.
After putting in a battery I learned that the second hand was stuck in place.
My daughter attributed the broken second hand to when I supposedly dropped it.
I covered all the text on the clock’s box with thin white artist’s tape.
After realizing their were screws on the back of the clock I decided to take it apart.
I put all 5 screws from the back of the clock on the granite countertop in my kitchen. After pulling apart the clock I realized that the face had glass instead of plastic.
I carefully set the glass inside the empty box where the clock came.
After trying to dislodge the second hand I realized it was permanently damaged.
I took the exposed clock face to the patio table in my backyard.
I also brought a ﬁne brush and a leftover bucket of white house paint to alter the clock. I painted the minute and hour hand white using this leftover house paint.
I decided to leave the second as is since it was already broken and stuck in place. After giving each hand four coats of paint I returned inside to reassemble the clock.
I tried to collect all the screws but they were lost in the pattern of the granite countertop. I picked up the box to help in ﬁnding the hidden screws.
I forgot the glass was in there and it fell on the tile ﬂoor and broke into 3 pieces.
I was upset but decided to put the clock together with the broken glass.
I realized I did collect all the screws but was thrown off by the odd number of 5.
I put the clock on a high shelf in my bedroom to avoid any further damage.
On June 4, 2016 I pulled the clock down from the shelf to prepare it for this exhibition. I cut out a hole in the back of the box so that the battery could be replaced if needed.
I attached the clock back into the package.
I replaced the battery with a new one.
It turns out that the second was not broken after all, it only needed a new battery.
After thinking about which PDF to include with this clock I decided on Dis Poem by Mutabaruka. A note to the curators:
I would like the clock hung at average height with this letter centered beneath it.
I would like both pages of the PDF hung at the right of the clock and this page.
Page 1 of the PDF should be on the top and page two should be on the bottom.